Current weather in Red Lake: -14.81 F Clear Sky, Moderate breeze, 5.82 mph, West °F °C
Border Information

Border Information


As of June 1, 2009 entry into the US requires a valid passport. United States citizens and legal residents of the United States do not need visas to enter Canada as visitors. For detailed information about obtaining or renewing your US passport, visit the U.S. Department of State, National Passport Information Center website, or access US passport application services from the United States Postal Service.

There is also a U.S. Passport Card that will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. This card may not be used to travel by air.


When traveling with children under the age of 16 if they do not have a passport of thier own you may be asked to produce birth certificates or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

Anyone traveling with children not their own may be required to show written permission from the child’s parent(s) and proper identification (birth certificate or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.). Birth certificates can be an original, photocopy or certified copy.

Other Countries

Visitors from countries other than the US require a valid passport and in some cases a visitor’s visa. Visas are issued by Canadian Immigration offices, embassies and consulates.

Criminal records

Individuals with criminal records wishing to enter Canada can apply for a waiver. This should be done a minimum of 3-4 weeks in advance of the intended visit and can take up to 6 months. It should be noted that Driving Under the Influence convictions are considered a criminal offense in Canada. Individuals with criminal records without a waiver can be refused entry. Contact the nearest port of entry Canada Immigration office for more information. See contact information below.

Persons without waivers who have only DUI’s or other less serious criminal convictions and have no criminal convictions in the past 10 years may be considered rehabilitated when they reach the border but this is at the Canada Immigration officer’s discretion. A “Remote Area Border Crossing Permit” may assist the Immigration officer in this determining admissibility to Canada since it requires normal background checks. This permit costs $30.00 Canadian. More information regarding the “Remote Area Border Crossing Permit” is available at the Canada Border Services Agency web site.

You may also contact Canada Border Crossing Services, they offer a free consultation.

Ph: (204) 488-6350 or 1-800-438-7020 (toll free US)
Fax: (204) 975-0394
103-B Scurfield Blvd.
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3Y 1M6
Website: Canada Border Crossing Services Website

What can you bring into Canada?

Each adult (19 years old and over) may import, free of duty, only one of the following three alcoholic beverages:

  • one case (24 cans or bottles that are 12 fl. oz.) of beer
  • 40 oz. (1.14 L) of hard spirits
  • 53 oz. (1.5 litres) of wine

Each adult (19 years old and over) may import, free of duty, 1 carton (200) cigarettes, 50 cigars or cigarillos, 200 tobacco sticks, and 200 grams (7 oz.) of manufactured tobacco.

If you go over your Duty Free limit for importation to Canada, you’ll be subject to Duty & Canadian Taxes.
If you’re bringing in more, bring the receipt(s) with you to the border, declare what you have and pack it in an easily accessible spot.

Fishing bait

It is illegal to bring live leeches, live minnows, live fish, smelt, wax worms, crayfish or salamanders into Ontario. Frozen or salted minnows are allowed. Nightcrawlers (Earthworms) are allowed if they are packed in soil free, artificial bedding.


Below is link to an information guide with a list of what you are allowed to bring accross the border:
Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Please be aware: Root crops (such as potatoes, onions, beets, carrots) are regulated.

If you have any questions you may contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency at the following locations.

Central ISC (Ontario)

7:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.(local time)
Telephone and EDI: 1-800-835-4486 (inside Canada or U.S.)
1-416-661-3039(all other countries) Fax: 1-416-661-5767

Western ISC (Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan & British Columbia)

7:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.(local time)
Telephone: 1-888-732-6222 (inside Canada or U.S.)
1-604-666-9240 (all other countries) EDI: 1-604-666-9240
Fax: 1-604-270-9247

Eastern ISC (Quebec & Atlantic) 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.(local time)

Telephone and EDI: 1-877-493-0468 (inside Canada or U.S.)
1-514-493-0468 (all other countries) Fax: 1-514-493-4103

Schultz Lake was the most memorable. We portaged into one of the 2 portage lakes, and in a manner of 4 hours I personally had 35 walleyes – smallest was 22″ and largest was 30″

Davin Epenn
Border Information
Subscribe to our newsletter for camp updates and special offers